This court house is located in the City of New Castle, Delaware and is known to be one of the oldest continuing courthouses in the US. This location is also a national historical landmark. It was built in 1732 after the 1680s courthouse with a few modifications. All jurisdictions for Delaware’s courts, including but not limited to federal courts, have met at this location. The state courts are now located in the City of Wilmington and were since 1881; however, court sessions and proceedings are occasionally still held here. It is also Delaware’s first capital building and meeting place for the colonial and first state Assembly. The legislature passed a resolution to separate from Pennsylvania and Great Britain, thus creating the Delaware State in the 1770s. Click here for more information.
top of page
bottom of page