Liberty Bell, President's House, Belmont Mansion & Historical Society of PA
The Liberty Bell, previously known as The State House Bell, is located in the tower of the Pennsylvania State House, now known as Independence Hall. Isaac Norris, speaker of the Pennsylvania Assembly, ordered a bell in 1751 from London, this bell cracked the first time it was rang. Metalworkers John Pass and John Stow melted down the bell and were able to create a new one right in Philadelphia. The bell would ring to call lawmakers to their meetings and to call townspeople together to hear the news. It wasn’t until the 1830s that the bell was known as a symbol of liberty. No one truly knows why the bell cracked, but it was likely due to 90 years of use. Click here for more information.
The President’s House was the nation’s first executive mansion where George Washington and John Adams lived during their terms. This is also the location where nine enslaved individuals served Washington. It is meant to educate those on slavery while also symbolizing freedom to those who have been enslaved. Click here for more information.
Adelicia and Joseph Acklen built Belmont Mansion in the 1850s. It was built as a country estate and a summer retreat. They raised their family in Nashville until the 1860s when the house became occupied before the Battle of Nashville. Click here for more information.
Located in the Midtown Village, this building holds nearly 560,000 books and 19 million manuscripts including William Penn’s archives. It counts a printer’s proof of the Declaration of Independence, Martha Washington’s cookbook, General George Meade’s account of the Battle of Gettysburg and so much more. Click here for more information.